2/20/2011

Wired 19.03 : Made In America Quilt.

This was a really fun one! I've had the pleasure of collaborating with Wired Magazine a bunch of times over the years (1 + 2 + 3 + 4) and this project is my favorite yet. The new issue #19.03 focuses on factory production overseas and stateside. I was commissioned to create this 2-page geo-illustration of an American Factory for an article about the benefits of domestic production.
The illustration was actualized as a Real Quilt (View top image to learn about the process). Lots of fun. Thanks Margaret and The Wired Crew. Always a pleasure! Click-Zoom.
It's a magical experience for me to see my work actualized as functional design. I've wanted to make a quilt for ages and this project has inspired a slew of new ideas for future projects.
Here's a glimpse into the design process. 2000+ tiny triangles!